Monday, February 07, 2005

Peer pressure

I know this has always been like this, but I really was thinking about it right now when I was trying to put off my homework.

The amount of peer pressure in schools these days is horrible. I am happy with myself for the most part and whenever I get insecure I think that I am relativly healthy; no major illnesses, no diseases, no infections, I keep up with my shots. Also, I am within the right weight (amount? zone? Whatever the word is) for my age group. That is one of the biggest problems faced by high school girls; weight.

I don't really know how cliques were started but it seems like some people are put into a clique by their weight and that is so wrong.

(By the way, I have no idea where I'm going with this, it's just on my mind right now)

I really hate to think if people who select people for dance team or even the muscial think of weight as a deciding factor.

Also, another thing that there is a lot of peer pressure on is acne. I've always had acne, and I've decided that I most likely will for a while so I've given up worrying about it and all I'm doing is trying to not let it get worse. I have always had acne just right down the center of my face and it is such a pain to deal with. I have powder and creams to try and cover it up, but, personally, I think it just makes it looks worse sometimes. I certainly know they don't do anything to help it, all that oil in it. Yuck.

I have also convinced myself mentally with proof that it doesn't matter. I have so many friends, I have a boyfriend, I love having my picture taken, and I don't give acne all my attention anymore. I step back and look at all of me. I have people close to me that don't care about my looks. If I was in a clique that based everything on looks, I would want nothing to do with it.

Now, I sound like a confidant person right? Well, I still feel tons of peer pressure in everything I say, do, go, and especially wear. Beyond weight, acne, and overall looks, what one wears is what separates them into a sterotype. So far, it's been hard to find a way around that. Sometimes if I want to wear something, I think I'll look like a geek based on the world around me (school environment). And it's so bad for girls. Guys have it easy. Guys could wear a white t-shirt and jeans everyday and it's nothing. Like I said, I am getting better though. I think to myself that people will be like, "Didn't you wear that four days ago?", but then I think, "Do I ever pay attention to what they wear? Not really." So why would they judge me. I really am my worst critic, but now I know that I am one of my only critics and that makes me feel better.

So now I thank you for allowing me to give myself a pep talk.
<3

1 Comments:

At February 8, 2005 at 6:10 PM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

Sounds like you've got a better handle on your self image than a lot of girls I know and have known. If you are like this now in the social-wood-chipper called high school then you're destined to soar once you get into college. Whole different planet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home