Friday, February 04, 2005

I gave in quite easily to getting a blog.
This could actaully be good for me since a blog should contain "external interests", and I need to rack my brain a bit more and talk about some stuff that requires more thought than "What should I wear tomorrow" or, "What should I say to him?" and such.
Right now, english class comes to mind... (don't know why)...

At my high school we have six different types of english classes to take as a Junior; A&C advanced and regular, Junior english advanced and regular, AP english Literature, and AP english writing.
English is a required class every year so, why are all these other types needed?
AP english is a little obvious; college credit and what-not. A&C stands for Arts and Communications. Students in that class know that they want to be in the arts field.
So I guess what I'm really talking about is just the difference between A&C and just Junior english.

In Oregon you have to read certain books every year of high school (i.e. Romeo and Juliet freshman year, To Kill A Mocking Bird sophmore year) so there's one thing that each english has to do. Students should be taught writing skills every year no matter if they are advanced or regular. Everyone has to do a couple CIM papers, and write a paper in a certain writing style each semester.
Is the school wasting money on this? They have to have more teachers for more classes. Did they actually stray from their stuff-the-classes-till-they-pop idea and instead they created a whole separate class to teach?
I'm not complaining. I actually am in "A&C advanced Junior english as an independant study" (how do they fit that onto my schedual?), but I love english and I am happy where ever they put me. I started out this year in just regular plain old english because, ironically, the AP classes that I was taking prevented me from taking any of the advanced english classes because they overlapped. I messed up my schedual just so I could take the one I am in now.
So far, some of the stuff I have discussed in my english has also been covered in regular english. Sure, they go at a slower rate, but do they really learn less than anyone else? To me, the only real difference between advanced and regular, A&C and normal english is the amount of books you read. Hope fully, almost any english student who has made it to Junior english can read. No learning there.

Yes, there can be great benifits to separating kids into "you're here because you have to be" english, and "you really like the arts" english, but only if the teachers can utilize them right.
If there are required books to read every year anyways, is this new class a waste?

What is the most benificial difference?

2 Comments:

At February 4, 2005 at 10:47 PM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

My school only had a couple of AP-type classes available, but I remember them standing out considerably from the other classes. The requirements were a lot higher and there was sort of an unspoken understanding that the grading and expectations were higher.

My AP English class was by far the best class I had in high school. It was a combination of an excellent teacher with a difficult curriculum. I credit this class for converting me from someone who hadn't read three fiction books by high school to the ardent fiction reader that I am today. He also was able to impress on me the importance of being able to appreciate good poetry. Not bad for someone who despised all forms of poetry except pop music. Or maybe that's not really poetry.

All that to say, stick with the AP, even if it doesn't seem like its all that different. The extra pressure and higher expectations are nearly always worth it, since it makes the steps after it easier to take.

 
At February 4, 2005 at 10:48 PM, Blogger everyday.wonder said...

And nice job on the blog, BTW. Most cave easily to the pressure. Like me... *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home